The team provides specialist advice and assistance in relation to any construction project including all aspects of commercial property, the contracts involved such as JCT, NEC and other standard form contracts plus bespoke contracts and ancillary documentation (collateral warranties, parent company guarantees, performance bonds, novation agreements and funding arrangements). We have a wide range of experience in advising owners, employers, developers, main contractors, sub-contractors, funders, architects, surveyors, agents and other construction professionals in relation to issues involving construction projects.
Partner, David Richards has recorded a series of Vlogs reviewing the latest myths and misconceptions in the construction industry. Please see them here.
In our experience, early intervention in construction disputes is often important to help avoid becoming tied up in lengthy litigation. This may be by way of advising on the meaning and effect of contractual clauses, identifying remedies and practical steps that can be taken or assisting with negotiating a resolution. The team's expertise includes providing assistance with:
- Contract disputes whether standard form contracts such as Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT), New Engineering Contracts (NEC), Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) or individually negotiated contracts
Professional negligence disputes
- Disputes or issues regarding payments (including in connection with Pay Less Notices under the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996)
Defects disputes, including those asserted by way of set-off, counterclaim or abatement
- Delay and extensions of time claims
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) including mediation
- Adjudication, including under the Scheme for Construction Contracts
Contact our expert David Richards if you have a construction dispute or require advice on contracts prior to the commencement of a project.