Leathes Prior acts for many charities with a client base ranging from smaller charities such as the Norwich Centre, which only has a handful of Trustees and very limited resources, to YMCA; a more established charity with a huge reputation. The team is particularly enthusiastic about supporting local charities such as Norfolk County Council (Active Norfolk), North Norfolk Fit Together and Norfolk & Norwich Archaeological Society but also represents a host of larger Charities such as the Foundation for Environmental Education. By sitting as active Board members for some of these charities, our solicitors are able to better understand the aims and objectives of third sector organisations and their complex and particular needs.
Our experts offer advice, not only in relation to Trustee duties and the structure and governance of charities, but also in relation to charities in their roles as landlords, property developers, employers and in relation to disputes. The team can truly say they offer a comprehensive service which includes:
- Advice on creating a charity
- The Charities Act
- The Charity Commission
- Structure and constitutional issues
- Duties of trustees
- Governance and regulation
- Employment advice, drafting contracts of employment and policies on discrimination and equal opportunities, grievance, disciplinary and health and safety
- Advising on regulating and enforcing commercial contracts
- Property and housing advice such as advising Local Authorities’ in-house legal teams on homelessness and the exercise of the statutory duty under Part VI of the Housing Act 2006.