Leathes Prior’s growing Sports Law team is headed by Partner Dan Chapman, who also runs the firm's boutique Sports Law, Advisory and Management business Full Contact - see www.fullcontactlaw.co.uk .
Bringing together the firm’s established expertise in dispute resolution, employment, intellectual property, brand protection, defamation, immigration, regulatory and disciplinary matters, the Sports Law team act for a wide array of sporting clients ranging from individuals to regional amateur and professional clubs to leading regulatory bodies.
Dan is one of the few solicitors nationwide to have obtained the Registered Lawyer under the FA Football Agents’ Regulations status, which enables him to act for players or clubs in contract negotiations or transfers. Dan is also one of a small group of solicitors in the country who has provided representation before Sports Tribunals – bringing to bear his wealth of experience as an advocate before the Employment Tribunals where he is a recognised leader in the field. In 2010 Dan was the lead advocate for Norwich City Football Club in the Football Disciplinary Commission dispute with Colchester United Football Club concerning the recruitment of Paul Lambert, and he has also acted in FA Arbitration proceedings.
The Sports Law team, in 2010, successfully acted for Norwich City Football Club in its high profile libel case against the News of the World.
In recent times, the Sports Law team has been involved in the following work:
- Advising successfully in relation to a large dispute in Formula One GP
- Acting for an England international footballer in relation to his contract with a Premiership football club
- Advising a professional footballer in relation to a dispute with his former agent
- Acted for the region’s largest elite gymnastics club in relation to their incorporation and redevelopment of new premises
- Advising a rugby club in relation to constitutional matters
- Acted for a rugby club challenging a points deduction imposed by the RFU
- Acted for a football club and their directors in respect of a misconduct charge
- Providing immigration advice to a professional sports team on their recruitment of an overseas player
- Advised an amateur sports club as to its transfer to charitable status
- Advised in relation to the proposed administration of a non-league football club
- Advised a professional football club on numerous employment matters
- Acted for numerous motor racing teams, including advising a Formula 3 Team in relation to a major sponsorship deal and drivers’ contracts
- Advising a professional sports club in relation to their intellectual property, trademarks and brand protection
- Acted for Welling United Football Club in relation to major fundraising initiative, proposed sale and restructuring of the Club
- Acted for a Football Conference club and their directors in relation to a misconduct charge before a disciplinary hearing
- Advised a Football Club in relation to their successful challenge against a transfer embargo imposed upon them
- Advising a Formula One GP team in respect of various employment, property and commercial issues
- Advising a County Football Association in respect of property development and employment matters
- Advising a Premier League football club in relation to new contracts of employment for their first team manager and key personnel
- Acting for a Blue Square Premier football club on a major dispute with their sponsors
- Acting for a Blue Square North division football club on a restructuring of its staffing levels
- Advising a Blue Square South division football club in respect of the engagement of a new first team manager
Dan’s Sports Law team is ably assisted by Partners and lawyers who specialise in Commercial Litigation, Mediation, Corporate Law, Immigration, Intellectual Property and Commercial Law.
The 2012 edition of Legal 500 ranked the Sports Law Team as 'tier 1', and praised the "highly organised" Dan Chapman.
The 2010 edition of Legal 500 praised how Leathes Prior was "successfully building its sports practice" and, recently, the 2011 edition ranked the Sports team as one of the few leading teams in East Anglia commenting that Dan Chapman has a "great understanding of the realities of a professional sports business, and continually impresses with answers tailored to the specific needs of clients".
If you have any enquiries, please contact Dan Chapman – or alternatively please call us on 01603 610911.